From:
Timothe Litt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Timothe Litt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2013 16:08:46 -0400
I was asked off-list about my references to earlier comments on the
registrants rights and responsibilities document.

I can't find them in the list archive (and I don't keep local copies of
list traffic), but they would have been in the march/april timeframe.  I
suppose this may have been during the list restructuring.  There were a
couple of rounds, ending in a suggestion by Milton that a position paper
be drafted, perhaps starting with that thread.

Among other things, I pointed out that the unilateral right to change
terms (sound familiar?) without proactive notice to the registrant and
without redline (change-bar) of what actually changes version to version
makes any other right meaningless. Without proactive notice, the
registrant will be ignorant (as typically changes are posted in some
obscure part of the registrar's website).  Without redline, no-one will
figure out what changed (as typically they simply post a complete
replacement of a multi-page document in lawyerese - and often change
formatting so even diff fails to show the differences.)  I also noted
that we should insist that the registrant have a no-charge exit to
another registrar if material changes adverse to the registrant are
imposed.  There was more, but I'm not inclined to reconstruct it.

If someone saved that thread, perhaps the list administrators could
insert it into the archive in the proper place.

Thanks.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.