From:
Kathy Kleiman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathy Kleiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2016 14:15:24 -0400
All,

I think the nuances of the concerns are being missed. There is something
much, much more than the mere transition of the US Government out of its
current role. As Avri pointed out earlier today:  "This was linked to
improvements in ICANN accountability. We fought for that and got it.
Upfront we agreed to this process be divided into two parts."

I think everyone agrees with the transition -- Bret certainly said he
did at the hearing. But it is those improvements of ICANN Accountability
that people are questioning. Are they fair? Are they balanced? Are they
understood by all who will be impacted by them?

I have to tell you I am concerned because there seem to be a lot of
"gotchas" -- meaning every time I hear someone testify about the details
of the Accountability & Transition plan, someone else (involved with the
process) says that he/she/it did not understand it that way. There was
certainly a lot of last minute changes and maneuvering.  There is not,
frankly, a lot of knowledge or understanding about the details of how
this restructuring and reorganization is going to work.

Rather than name-calling, or picture discussion, let's talk about the
details (the devil's always there, right). Can a consensus policy really
be appealed to an Independent Review Process proceeding by one of the
multiple stakeholders involved?  Isn't that going to give those
stakeholders with the most time and resources a third, fourth and fifth
bite at the policies we are negotiating? Isn't that going to undermine
our months and years of work in the policy development process and
working groups?  That's one question that no one has been able to answer
for me.

Let's talk details - if you help us understand, we'll appreciate it. But
this is much more than a transition from USG oversight...

Kathy