From:
Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:02:02 -0700
This election turn-out is actually quite in-line with democracy generally - or perhaps a bit better.

For example, in recent federal election, the voter turn-out in California was only 23% of eligible voters.  That's common.

Low voter turn-out is not a problem that is unique to NCSG.

However, let's not let that stop us from trying to figure out how to achieve greater participation from the entire membership.  :-)

Thanks to all for this achievement!

Best,
Robin

On Aug 30, 2011, at 6:45 PM, nhklein wrote:

> On 08/31/2011 03:38 AM, Ron Wickersham wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Avri Doria wrote:
>> [snip]
>
>> For
>> future on votes of this importance (an issue that would make/break
>> the exisistence of the NCSG) i would suggest we ask that paper
>> ballots be mailed to the eligible voters.  This is no small task or
>> expense, but pales with the expenses ICANN incurrs in holding the
>> board meetings around the workd and other routine expenses.
>>
>> -ron
>
> Please don't - e-mail I get immediately, paper mail about once a week, mostly useless advertisements etc. - too difficult to sort out if there is occasionally something important.
>
> If someone cannot handle e-mail - are they able to actively analyze the questions we as non-commercials, are facing in ICANN?
>
> The poor participation of the "active" membership in the election requires some soul searching about the non-commercial public's interest and commitment to get and to be involved. The Intellectual Property lobby have their interest, so they act.
>
> The 61.9% is not the result of poor technology - especially considering the huge "management" input by Avri.
>

> Norbert
> --
> A while ago, I started a new blog:
>
> ...thinking it over... after 21 years in Cambodia
> http://www.thinking21.org/
>
> continuing to share reports and comments from Cambodia.
>
> Norbert Klein
> Phnom Penh / Cambodia

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: [log in to unmask]