From:
Ayden Férdeline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ayden Férdeline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2016 21:06:30 +0000
Hi Arsène,
Thanks for your kind words, and I look forward to reading your contributions to
the statement. It would be good to hear your thoughts as well on whether Africa,
as a region, is best served by ICANN's geographical classifications? Is this
useful, a continuation of an unequal world system à la Wallerstein or Gunder
Frank, or something else? I haven't as much exposure to Africa as I have had
other regions, but the idea that 53 countries (plus a few disputed ones…) from
north to south, with different languages, climates, and political systems would
have enough in common to be grouped into one region in ICANN work seems far
fetched to me…? This is more for my personal interest, I'd stress -- the remit
of this Working Group is not (actively) exploring the creation of new regions.
Best wishes,
Ayden