From:
David Post <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Post <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2016 10:06:37 -0400
At 12:26 PM 5/26/2016, Mueller, Milton L wrote:
>To: David Post [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
>
>As Avri noted, the goal of the stewardship
>transition was to…transition, i.e. get the US
>govt out of its current role. I am flabbergasted
>by the fact that you do not see the US oversight
>role as a broken part of the institution.
>
>As someone who has written about early
>post-revolutionary America, I wonder how you
>would respond to my argument “all these new
>democratic government models are new and
>untested. We don’t really know how well they
>will work. Why doesn’t the United States retain
>its status as a British colony under the King
>for a few years, and let him decide if the experiment has worked?” [SNIP]

Milton:  Fair question, and my response would
look something like this.  There are times to
rush into things, and there are times not to.  I
don't know about you, but I'm not boarding the
rocket to the space station if you tell me that
it has never been tried or tested ... unless the
asteroid is hurtling towards earth, and there's no time for messing around.

So it all depends on how much of an "emergency
situation" one thinks that we're in. The American
revolutionaries clearly believed that the
situation had become impossible and had to be
immediately terminated, and they had to throw
together a totally new kind of government,
untested and untried, and hope that it would
work.  And note:  IT DIDN'T WORK, AT  FIRST!  A
bunch of really smart people reached a consensus
plan that was a hideous failure - the government
that was set up under the "Articles of
Confederation" was a catastrophe and a
laughingstock, and it came very close to sinking the whole country.

And while I'm on it, I'd also note that the
efforts to "tweak" that original design were made
MUCH more difficult by one truly colossal mistake
the designers of U.S. v. 1  made:
they put in a provision that said you couldn't
dissolve the Confederation, or amend its charter,
without unanimous consent of all the States in
the Confederation.  Ouch.  As a practical matter,
getting unanimous consent to anything was a
virtual impossibility; the new government was
effectively set in concrete,
forever.  Fortunately, Madison and the others
finally just said (though not without serious
misgivings):  the hell with that, that's totally
crazy, if we can get 9 States to sign onto the
new constitution who's going to complain that
we're violating the Articles of
Confederation?  But it took a extraordinary act
of political genius and courage to make the
changes necessary - can't count on that sort of thing, these days.

So our disagreement may be on how much of an
"emergency" we think the DNS is currently
facing.  I don't think the world comes to an end
if the USG says: "Great plan you've come up
with!  We're handing everything over, but we
can't tell how it will work and how the pieces
will all fit together, so we can't tell whether
it actually does provide for true
multi-stakeholder control, so we're going to
reserve the right to re-consider in 2 years
..."  You and others might have a different view on that.

David
David G. Post
Volokh Conspiracy Blog http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
Book (ISO Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n