From:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 14:00:49 +0200
Hi,

The NCSG charter is consistent with the ICANN bylaws in this regard. Being a citizen/permanent resident of one country and a temporary resident of another (each in different geographic regions), I remember having a bit of trouble determining which one I should declare myself to come from. I didn’t find a clear-cut definition of “country of residence” regarding GNSO Council geographic diversity, but I did find a guide on this in the by-laws regarding the Board of Directors and chose to use this as a guide.

From Article VI, Section 2, 3 Second Paragraph (https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/bylaws-2012-02-25-en#VI-3)

“For purposes of this sub-section 3 of Article VI, Section 2 of the ICANN Bylaws, if any candidate for director maintains citizenship of more than one country, or has been domiciled for more than five years in a country of which the candidate does not maintain citizenship ("Domicile"), that candidate may be deemed to be from either country and must select in his/her Statement of Interest the country of citizenship or Domicile that he/she wants the Supporting Organization or the At-Large Community to use for selection purposes. For purposes of this sub-section 3 of Article VI, Section 2 of the ICANN Bylaws, a person can only have one "Domicile," which shall be determined by where the candidate has a permanent residence and place of habitation.”

Upon filling a statement of interest, a person is also directed to declare the country of residence as the country in which taxes are paid. I understand that some folks may pay taxes in more than one country, but (in my case) these criteria all made it easier for me. Like I said…, I CHOSE this method for determining the geographic region I come from. Others may choose for other reasons, but just thought it might be helpful.

If others have different/more appropriate methods, I’d be interested to read about it.

Thanks.

Amr