From:
陳曼茹 Manju Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
陳曼茹 Manju Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:34:00 +0800
Hi NCSG,

I'd like to bring this to your attention and welcome opinions on NCSG's
position.

I'm sure you all remember the Board passing the resolution in ICANN78
regarding Auction Proceeds, which is now known as the Grant Program. In its
resolution, the Board attempted to contract around the fundamental
accountability mechanisms found in the ICANN bylaws despite its approval of
the CCWG on Auction Proceeds' recommendations to amend the Bylaw years ago.

The resolution faced backlash from the community, after which the Board put
forward the proposal of a broadening amendment of the Bylaw. This proposal
is currently seeking public comment at
https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/proposed-bylaws-updates-to-limit-access-to-accountability-mechanisms-27-02-2024
.

The GNSO Council discussed in ICANN79 whether to submit a Council response
to this public proceeding. It was agreed to first understand each SG/Cs
position and see if the positions are unified before deciding whether to
submit the Council response. As you can see from below, both RrSG and IPC
have shared their positions.

*Action Item for NCSG*:

Formulate an NCSG position and see if we want to join a GNSO-wide
responseby 26 March.

Best,
Manju