From:
Milton L Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Milton L Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2013 05:26:00 +0000
I agree with you Rafik, harmony among ambitious “leaders” does not mean that we have solved the problem of how to make Internet governance responsive to Internet users. It is easy for ICANN’s CEO, who would like more autonomy from the USG, to cozy up to Brazil’s President, and in some ways it is a good initiative, especially following the Uruguay declaration, which indicates that the world’s multistakeholder organizations agree with the longstanding position of the Internet Governance Project that the privileged US position over the DNS root should be ended. But that is just one small step, and we have to avoid letting the media attention focus exclusively on “leaders” as if the controlled the internet.